Monday, July 22, 2013

Smothered Chicken Thighs with Zucchini, Squash, and Mushrooms


This is my favorite go-to meal to make because (1) it's easy (2) it's delicious and (3) I love me some chicken thighs. My dad used to cook this all the time when we were younger so creative rights go to Big Steve, you go Big Steve. This is quite a tasty meal, but be forewarned that your whole house will smell like straight up home cooked food. In undergrad, I cooked this and went to a meeting afterwards and my friends definitely let me know, that although I made them hungry, I smelled like a big delicious onion.

Smothered Chicken Thighs with Zucchini, Squash, and Mushrooms

  • 6 chicken thighs (my favorite is skinless & boneless but you can use any kind)
  • 1/2 tsp olive oil 
  • 1 large onion, mulched 
  • 1 tsp garlic, minced  
  • 3 chicken bouillon cubes, dissolved in 1 cup water
  • 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 zucchini, sliced
  • 1 squash, sliced 
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
  • Creole seasoning, to taste
  • Dash of red pepper flakes

Instructions:


1.  Cut onion into small enough pieces to fit into a food processor and mulch onions until there are no big pieces left and mixture is almost liquid.


2.  After drizzling olive oil onto skillet, pour onions at the bottom and put fire on medium. Lay chicken thighs smooth side down and season with salt, pepper, and creole seasoning (I use Tony’s). Add garlic at this time. Cook chicken thighs for 20 minutes, flipping them to ensure both sides get cooked.



3.  As soon as you put the chicken thighs to cook, place chicken bouillon cubes into 1 cup of water so that they dissolve by the time you need to add them.


4.  After cooking chicken thighs for 20 minutes and when the onions start browning, add the 1 cup of water with the dissolved chicken bouillon cubes. Add 1 more cup of water and the Worcestershire sauce. This is also when I add a few dashes of red pepper flakes for some extra heat.  


5.  Add mushrooms and cover pan. Cook for about 20 minutes. Add the squash and zucchini and let cook for another 10 minutes.


6.  The chicken thighs should get so tender that the meat falls easily apart and all the vegetables should be soft. Serve over rice and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment