Monday, July 8, 2013

Cajun Chicken Cacciatore



After a long day of working and getting soaked by a surprise thunderstorm on my lunch break, all I wanted for dinner was something savory with a pasta. I had made chicken cacciatore once before, but it was in a slow cooker and this time I didn't have the luxury of cooking for 8 hours since I'm a working gal now! So using my trusty Pioneer Woman as a guide, I whipped up this Cajun Chicken Cacciatore. In general, a cacciatore is made with a braised chicken (or rabbit) and is prepared with tomatoes, onions, herbs, and bell peppers. You can even include some wine if you like - I am a certified Wino - so wine is definitely included in this recipe. I'm calling it "cajun" because I decided to add some celery - which with onions and bell peppers - completes the almighty Cajun Holy Trinity and I am all about that. And of course, with me being raised in South Louisiana, a sprinkle of Tony Chachere's is a must.  

Cajun Chicken Cacciatore


  • Butter, 2-3 Tbsp
  • Olive oil, 4 Tbsp
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
  • Flour, 1/2 cup
  • Chicken thighs, 8 whole
  • Garlic, 1-2 cloves 
  • Onion, diced
  • Bell Pepper, diced
  • Celery, 3 stalks 
  • Red wine, 1/2 cup
  • Parsley, about a handful chopped
  • Basil, about 4 leaves sliced 
  • Diced tomatoes, 1 can
  • Rotel, 1 can 
  • Parmesan cheese, for sprinkling

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F). 
  2. After trimming the fat from the thighs, lay out flat and sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides. 
  3. Heat 1 Tbsp of butter with 1 Tbsp of olive oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Before placing the chicken skin down in the pan, each piece must be dredged in flour on both sides. (I usually would have used white flour to dredge the chicken in, but I was at my heathy parents' house and only had wheat flour - but I liked the texture and color I was able to get with the wheat, so both should do the job.)
  4. Cook 4 thighs at a time and brown the chicken on both sides. After browning, transfer the pieces to a separate plate until all the vegetables are cooked (you will add them back later). Pour about half of the fat and discard.
  5. Add the diced onions, bell peppers, celery, and garlic to the skillet and sauté until soft.  Pour in wine and allow it to bubble. 
  6. Pour in canned tomatoes and Rotel and stir to combine. I added some parsley and basil at this point as well. 
  7. Add the chicken back into the pan, skin side up. Place the lid on top of the pot and put in oven for 45 minutes (I was in a little bit of a hurry when I cooked this, so I did 30 minutes on 375 degrees and it worked fine). 
  8. While the chicken is cooking, cook your pasta according to the directions on the package. I served some penne with this dish and it went really well together. 
  9. Serve with some Parmesan cheese and enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment