Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Römertopf Chicken Drumsticks and Vegetables

Growing up, my family had "Chicken Römertopf" at least once a week and it usually ended with my dad and I fighting over who would get the most celery that had been cooking in the chicken's... hindquarters. Anyways, since I was cooking for one I decided to use drumsticks instead of the whole chicken (plus I didn't have my Dad to tear up the chicken and didn't feel like getting my hands all slimy). So back to Römertopf: this is a clay pot that's soaked before cooking and it allows for meat and vegetables to retain moisture and it also prevents nutrients from escaping. The end result is perfectly juicy chicken and savory, mouthwatering vegetables.

**One note is that you don't want to risk cracking the soaked clay pot in an already hot oven - so just make sure not to turn on your oven until the pot is inside.



Römertopf Chicken Drumsticks and Roasted Vegetables

Ingredients:
- 4 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 cup baby carrots
- 1 cup mushrooms 
- 1 onion, sliced 
- Chicken drumsticks (5-6)
- 1 tsp olive oil 
- 1-1.5 tsp mustard
- 2 cloves garlic 
- Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste


Directions: 
1. Soak Römertopf clay pot in water for at least 10 minutes. What I usually do is put it to soak before I go to work in the morning and let it soak all day, but all that is required is 10 minutes. 

2. Place vegetables in pot first and then top with the chicken drumsticks. Rub olive oil, mustard and garlic on chicken. 

3. Sprinkle salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning (oregano, basil, parsley, etc.) on top of chicken and vegetables. 

4. Place clay pot in cold oven then set to 400 degrees. Cook chicken and vegetables for 1 to 1.5 hours. Be careful when opening clay pot after taking it out of the oven for steam will be very hot. 




No comments:

Post a Comment